A chiropractor is a health care professional that focuses on the non-invasive method of treating medical conditions. A chiropractor specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of the neuromuscular condition, by making use of hand manipulation of the spine. A chiropractor doesn’t just help to relieve pain, but also help to boost the overall health of the patient. They do this by suggesting the right nutrition, physical exercise, acupuncture and other therapies. Some of the most common disease by a chiropractor include conditions such as back pain, neck pain, lack of sleep and so on. Here are 10 reasons to see a chiropractor to manage your pain.
What Is A Chiropractor?
A chiropractor is an individual that is trained in the field of chiropractic. To become a chiropractor, one has to first complete a 4-year undergraduate course in a science related course, before going to study chiropractic for 5 years. The first 3 years is theoretical, while the last 2 years is purely clinical. Students are exposed to real-life cases, and are taught how to manage them while working under the supervision of a doctor of chiropractic.
Top 10 Reasons to See a Chiropractor
People visit chiropractors for a lot of reasons. However, one of the top reasons why people visit them is because of the non-invasive method. In addition, chiropractors make use of natural ways of treatment, that doesn’t involve giving medications and so on. Chiropractic is relatively safe, and without significant side effects. The benefits of going for a chiropractic treatment are numerous. They are not just felt in one part of the body, but a session improves the overall health status of the patient. Before going into the details of the benefits of chiropractic, below are some of the reasons people go see a chiropractor;
- Back pain: This is one of the most common reasons why people come to see chiropractic. People develop back pain due to a lot of reasons. Some of these include putting a strain on the back, bad techniques of lifting heavy materials, particularly athletes, or those that just joined a gym, bad posture, mechanical injuries and so on. Back pain can be treated by a chiropractor in just one visit. Patients usually become pain-free, after this, and can continue living their life without pain. Asides from using hands to manipulate the spine, the health practitioner also advises the patient on how to avoid future occurrences.
- Neck pain: Neck pain is also one of the most prevalent reasons why people go see a chiropractor. Neck pain can occur due to different reasons. Some of the reasons include bad posture, cervical spondylosis, road traffic accidents, and so on. They treat this condition by manipulating and adjusting the spine, including the cervical vertebrae. The proper alignment of the vertebrae helps to improve, and also eliminate the neck pain. This also, like back pain, can be treated in one session.
- Headaches: There are different causes of a headache. However, one of the most common causes of a headache is stress. For those in popular cities, the noise, traffic, pollution, all contribute to the development of a headache. Chiropractic is a great option for the treatment of headaches. According to studies carried out by Duke University, chiropractic was shown to be more effective than pain-relieving
- Poor sleep cycle: A lot of people struggle with sleep disorders. Some people wake up very early in the day, regardless of when they sleep at night. This goes a long way in reducing their productivity throughout the day. Inadequate sleep can occur due to different reasons. Some of the causes of lack of sleep include body pain, stress and so on. Chiropractic is one of the ways of effectively treating sleep problems. The chiropractic treatment of this condition is more or less like a spa session. Patients leave feeling light and in a good mood.
- Fatigue: People get tired, especially after doing a lot of work, for an extended period of time, or due to some other conditions. Chiropractic is an effective way of treating and relieving fatigue. This can be treated in a session of chiropractic. Patients do become re-energized and good after the session.
- Tingling sensations: Sometimes people present with tingling sensations on different parts of the body. This could occur due to various Some of the conditions that could lead to tingling sensations include carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a condition in which there is a build-up of pressure on the wrist in the flexor retinaculum, which puts pressure on the median nerve. A chiropractor can safely treat this medical condition by adjusting the bones in the affected hand.
- To avoid the side effects associated with medications: People patronize chiropractors to avoid the adverse effects that are associated with the use of medications. As earlier mentioned, the side effects associated with chiropractic is relatively minor, as compared to using medications. Chiropractic doesn’t just help to relieve pain and other conditions, but also helps to improve the overall health.
- To improve injuries that occur as a result of car accidents: Chiropractic is effective in the treatment of injuries incurred from motor accidents. Chiropractors do this by aligning and setting the muscles and bones back to their natural positions. This method helps to quicken the recovery of patients.
- To boost the immune system: Chiropractic is also an excellent way of improving the immune system. Some authorities have likened chiropractic to vitamin C. This is because chiropractors don’t just treat pain, but also help relieve stress, and also relax the body muscles. This helps to boost the immune system, and how they function.
- Improve after-birth care: Although this isn’t common, chiropractic is helpful for newborns, especially those born prematurely. It helps to reduce the stress and tension babies go through during childbirth. There have been a lot of theories on the effects of chiropractic on a newborn, but overall, it has been deemed safe.
The benefits of chiropractic are numerous. Chiropractors also work with other health professionals and would refer patients to physicians or specialists for further care, if there is a need to.
Articular neurology and chiropractic: the foundation of chiropractic wellness care. (2000). The British Journal of Chiropractic, 4(4), p.76.
Chiropractic Care of Pediatric Nonmusculoskeletal Conditions: A Case Series. (2010). Clinical Chiropractic, 13(2), p.189.
Chiropractic Evidence 2011: Programme. (2011). Clinical Chiropractic, 14(2), p.63.