Amniotic stem cells, s the name implies is a mixture of stem cells that can be derived from the amniotic fluid and amniotic membrane. They are cells with high differentiation ability; they can differentiate into different tissue types, such as cartilages, skins, bone, muscular and cardiac tissues. These cells are critical in regenerative medicine, and in the treatment of many disease and conditions
Amniotic Stem Cell Count
A newborn baby is surrounded by amniotic fluid for easy mobility, body development, and survival. This amniotic fluid contains a lot of amniotic cells. The number of amniotic cells derived from amniotic fluid is less than half the number; you can get from the bone marrow. However, this number is enough to change the face of regenerative medicine, and help in the treatment of many medical conditions. The amniotic stem cells can be used as a form of therapy for treating various medical conditions in regenerative medicine.
What is Amniotic Stem cell Therapy
Different types of injuries such as arthritis and other orthopedic related conditions could be treated by the conservative and surgical method. However, there is an advanced form of treatment and therapy. This therapy involves the injection of specific amniotic stem cells derived from the amniotic membrane into the injured joint or tissue. This treatment is the latest cutting-edge discovered in the treatment of orthopedical related conditions. This therapy is called Amniotic Stem cell therapy.
These stem cells are derived from amniotic fluid and membrane, not an embryo; this is one of the significant difference between amniotic and embryonic stem cells. The fact that is derived from amniotic fluid and membrane solves the ethical and moral problems surrounding the use of amniotic and embryonic stem cells.
Stem cells are found in all of us and play a vital role in the body’s healing process. They lie latent in your body until they receive signals that the body has suffered an injury and then they follow your platelets to the injured site. Stem cells can transform into the same type of cell that was injured to promote healing. They are tasked with healing damaged ligaments, tendons, tissues and bones. After an injury, or as a natural result of aging, the number of stem cells needed in some regions of the body declines. Stem Cell Therapy solves this problem by delivering a high concentration of stem cells into the injured area, promoting natural healing.
How Does Amniotic Stem Cells Therapy Works
Stem cell treatment takes advantage of the body’s ability to repair itself. With Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy, your doctor injects stem cells from amniotic tissues into your body. Similar to cortisone and steroid shots, stem cell injections have anti-inflammatory properties, but they offer far more benefits than those of standard injection therapies. While cortisone and other drugs only provide temporary pain relief, stem cells restore degenerated tissue while providing pain relief. They linger in the injured area for up to 24 months, continually dividing and building new tissue. Additionally, stem cell injections contain hyaluronic acid, which lubricates joints and tendons, easing the pain and helping restore mobility.
Amniotic stem cells can turn into any tissue found in joints including cartilage, ligament, tendon, bone or muscle. The only tissue they can’t become is nerve tissue. This makes Stem Cell Therapy a “curative” treatment, once your joint is healed, it’s healed for good! The oldest research to date shows that 100 percent of Stem Cell Therapy recipients were still pain-free four years later. Amniotic stem cell therapy is very beneficial m because of its ability to differentiate into its targeted tissue.
Uses And Benefits Of Amniotic Stem cell Therapy
Amniotic stem cell therapy has a lot of therapeutic functions and benefits, especially in regenerative medicine and orthopedic. The amazing benefits include:
- Cell growth and Lubrication: Amniotic stem cells contains a unique substance called hyaluronic acid, this substance helps in the lubrication of joint and promote new cell and cartilage growth
- Safe and natural: Amniotic stem cells therapy uses natural components for its healing, no artificial substance or steroids are added. The therapy relies on natural occurring anti-inflammatory compounds such as cytokines. This makes it safe and free of complications.
- Tissue growth: Amniotic stem cells contain growth factors that help in tissue growth.
- Decreased tissue rejection: there is reduced the risk of tissue rejection when amniotic stem cell therapy is used.
- Increased success rate: The success rate of injections from amniotic stem cell therapy is high when compared to another source od Homologous or Autologous stem cell s treatment.
Contraindication of Amniotic Stem cell Therapy
There are several contraindications to using Amniotic stem cells therapy; the contraindication includes disease-related and non- diseases related contraindications. The contraindication consists of:
- Exacerbated vasculitis: capillaritis, phlebitis, arteritis (TFSC is possible after at least three months of remission).
Acute thrombosis (treatment is possible not earlier than 3–6 months after an exacerbation).
3. Acute hemophthalmia (after 3 months).
4. Expressed pulmonary hypertension secondary to vasculitis, thrombosis, pneumonia, development of acute or subacute pulmonary heart.
5. Myelocarcinosis, myelofibrosis.
6. Terminal stage of the disease (expressed intoxication, advanced metabolic dysfunctions, and decompensation of internal organs).
7. Chronic infection lesions (preliminary treatment is required because administration of fetal stem cells might cause exacerbation).
8. Chronic viral infections (preliminary treatment is required).
9. Psychiatric diseases (risk of exacerbation)
5 Things You Need to Know About Amniotic Stem Cells
- They have been found to have the potential to heal damaged tissues, joints and other parts of the body.
- More and more parents are allowing stem cells to be harvested from amniotic fluid for research and treatment of injuries and medical conditions.
- Amniotic-derived stem cells offer an incredible abundance of healing properties including natural anti-inflammatory response, pain relief, and abundance of growth factors that promote tissue growth, and presence of hyaluronic acid that encourages the growth of new cartilages.
- There is minimal chance of rejection or allergic reaction to treatment with amniotic-derived stem cells.
- This type of therapy has been successfully used to treat tendon injuries such tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow, rotator cuff tendon injury, spine problems, joint arthritis, and wound healing problems.
For more information, contact ISTEM CELLS.
Bani-Yaghoub, M., Wilson, P., Hengstschläger, M., Nikaido, T. and Pei, D. (2012). Amniotic Stem Cells: Potential in Regenerative Medicine. Stem Cells International, 2012, pp.1-3.
Cantani, A. (2016). A Paediatric Perspective on Stem Cells: Expression, Function, and Clinical Relevance (Stem Cells from Amniotic Fluid). Anatomy & Physiology, 06(02).
Liu, M., Li, Y. and Yang, S. (2014). Curculigoside Improves Osteogenesis of Human Amniotic Fluid-Derived Stem Cells. Stem Cells and Development, 23(2), pp.146-154.
Loukogeorgakis, S. and De Coppi, P. (2017). Concise Review: Amniotic Fluid Stem Cells: The Known, the Unknown, and Potential Regenerative Medicine Applications. STEM CELLS, 35(7), pp.1663-1673.
Roubelakis, M., Trohatou, O. and Anagnou, N. (2012). Amniotic Fluid and Amniotic Membrane Stem Cells: Marker Discovery. Stem Cells International, 2012, pp.1-9.
ISTEMCELL is the global leader in STEM CELL education connecting researchers, providers, doctors, and clients to the industry. Dedicated to helping cane the world, and focused on restoration versus operation utilizing regenerative medicine between you are your provider we will highlight topics from Amniotic Stem Cells to Umbilical Stem Cells and everything in-between including but not limited to topics like Electrical Medicine, Non Surgical Back Pain, Autologous Stem Cell Re-injection and research topics like the difference between Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Wharton’s Jelly Stem Cells. We will also highlight protocols found in the industry, as well as things like cell count, contraption, contraindications, popular uses and stem cell reviews.