Do you realize the skin is the largest organ in the human body? It covers more than about 18.5 square feet in other to conceal our flesh and bones. The skin also helps our body regulate temperature. On a daily basis, dead skin cells are shed, and a new layer of skin is created every 28days. The skin also helps in telling the state of our health as some diseases may lead to changes on the surface of the skin. The average skin stretches up to two square meters. Depending on its location, the stretchiness
and strength vary.
Connect With A Dermatologist Near You
It is said that breasts may sag faster than usual if you are a smoker as it destroys proteins present in skin elastin. The skin expands to hold adipose tissue when you get. It gets damaged and loses its elasticity when it stretches out. The skin then appears saggy when that fat is lost. Various other factors play a role like age, how long you stay fat, genetics, where the fat is stored. It can also be seen in the case of pregnancy. A person who was previously morbidly obese and lost weight will surely have saggy skin present usually in the arms, chest, and thigh and about everywhere else. Also as we age, we lose adipose tissue thereby leading to the visible saggy skin on the face, arm, and everywhere else.
There are many ways dermatologists help to make saggy skin firm, and they are as follows:
- Skin Firming Creams and Lotion: This kind of product is rampant, and you may feel like you have to try them as they come with lots of promises. Here is what you should be aware of before spending your You will be disappointed if you are looking for a facelift result from a bottle. Notwithstanding the claims, the results observed after the use of this products is minute or none at all.
When an immediate result is observed, it is probably because the product is an effective moisturizer. A very potent moisturizer can make your skin plump and conceal fine lines and wrinkles, but this is all temporary. In other to keep this result, application of product should be on a daily basis.
Dermatologists say it is not possible for cream or lotion to lift saggy skin as claimed since the skin cannot be penetrated deep enough by these lotions. Retinol aids our body to produce more collagen, so if the cream or lotion contains retinoid, then you may notice small changes. If as little or no change is seen in the use of these cream and lotion, the demand for it still grows as it is used by researchers to try out new ideas.
- Modest Tightening and Lifting
This is also referred to as non-invasive skin tightening procedure because your skin is left intact. There is the absence of incision marks, puncture wounds or raw skin. The only thing visible will be some redness and swelling which will disappear with time.
Benefits of this procedure include:
- The appearance of the result is gradual, so it looks natural
- There is little or no downtime
- It is colorblind therefore safe for the skin color of people
- Can be used to tighten skin anywhere in your body
- There are very little or no side effects when performed by a professional except redness and swelling
- It is not time-consuming as most procedures take one hour or less
- Slight pain or discomfort may be felt during the procedure, but that is about it
- Application of makeup can be done promptly after the procedure
Noninvasive skin tightening procedures can be done using;
- Ultrasound: In this case, heat is sent deep into the skin using ultrasound which triggers the body to make more collagen. Most people see modest change within two to six months with just one treatment. More benefits may be gotten from additional treatments.
- Radiofrequency: In this procedure, the tissues beneath is heated as the dermatologist places a device against the skin. Best results are seen in about six months as it takes the body time to produce collagen.
- Laser Treatment: This is very handy for tightening loose skin on the upper hands and belly though it is used to tighten skin all over the body. Without injuring the top layer of the skin, this laser sends heat deep into the skin. Two to three procedures may be needed to get a result which will slowly appear two to six months after.
- Most Tightening and Lifting Without Surgery
This is referred to as minimally invasive skin tightening procedure which tends to give a more visible result. It cannot still be compared to a result of a surgical procedure such as neck lift, facelift or eyelid surgery. The good side to it compared to surgery is that it has fewer side effects and less downtime. Sedation is required and few days of downtime.
Minimally invasive procedures can be done using:
- Radiofrequency: In order to heat up the tissue beneath your skin, a thin tube or needle is inserted into your skin. Heat is then provided precisely where loose skin needs to be tightened. Usually used for neck and upper arms. Results are seen in about one month. When the procedure is down, compression garment should be worn for about four or five days, and care should be given to the wound.
- Laser Resurfacing: This procedure is the most successful used for loose skin tightening. The downtime is about five to seven days, not like the radiofrequency procedure. Its result is rapid. Within two weeks after healing has occurred, you will notice tightening and lesser wrinkles. The merits of this procedure are that it tightens skin better than the rest of the procedures, in addition, it reduces the appearance of dark spots like age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles but the demerit is the increased downtime compared to the rest and also risk of scarring.
A wide range of people can have all these procedures, but for optimal results, it will be best if you quit smoking, eat healthily, have and maintain a healthy weight, reduce alcohol intake, protect your skin from excessive direct sunlight. If you are pregnant or have a skin infection, you should avoid these procedures.
Many ways to firm sagging skin | American Academy of Dermatology. (2018). Aad.org. Retrieved 21 April 2018, from https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/anti-aging-skin-care/firm-sagging-skin
Shugart, C. (2016). Loose Skin: The Facts | T Nation. T NATION. Retrieved 21 April 2018, from https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/loose-skin-the-facts
Welch, A. (2015). 10 Amazing Facts About the Skin. Everydayhealth.com. Retrieved 21 April 2018, from https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/10-amazing-facts-about-skin/