As is widely known, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is why it’s important to eat in the morning, as it fuels us for the day, and also puts people in a good mood. Although, people sometimes get too busy to eat in the morning. It’s fine to not eat breakfast sometimes. People can easily get a breakfast menu from a fast food joint, such as McDonald’s, KFC and so on. However, food experts have advised limiting restaurant meals to two times per week. Eating fast food and junks once in a while, won’t hurt, or break your diet, but doing this on a regular basis isn’t healthy. The best way to go about this is to ensure your breakfast options are healthy. The purpose of this article is to highlight the best and worst fast food breakfast. Considering that they are a lot of options out there, it could be a bit of work figuring out what’s best to eat.
Best Fast Food for Breakfast
- Dunkin’ Donuts Veggie Egg White Flatbread: This is perfect for whenever you’re running late in the morning. You can never go wrong if you combine it with a good medium cup of coffee, or whatever your preference is. The coffee would keep you up and active, while the breakfast would provide enough energy that would last until the next time you decide to eat. The egg whites and flatbread provides 18 grams of protein and 3 grams of fibers. This is sufficient to last you all morning. The entire meal is about 330 calories. You can also get creative with the meal, and decide to throw in some vegetables, such as spinach or tomatoes. This would supply you with minerals, and extra vitamin. You can do this when you get to your office. This meal is healthy and filling.
- Starbucks Spinach Feta Breakfast Wrap: The dunkin’ doughnut isn’t the only healthy breakfast option out there. The Starbucks spinach feta breakfast wrap is also a good option. The breakfast meal will help you stick to your diet. It’s protein-rich and will fill you up till your next meal. Although, it also contains carbohydrates, fat, and vitamins. The meal also supplies 45 percent of your daily vitamin A needs, and fifteen percent of your daily iron.
- McDonald’s Egg White Delight: People love this meal because you can get it within a few minutes. All you need to do is just go the drive-thru at McDonald’s. This meal is the healthiest meal on McDonald’s breakfast menu. The egg white supplies a high amount of protein, while would not only fill you up but would also nourish your body. The sandwich supplies 16grams of protein for a moderate 260 calories, with a 10 percent of your daily iron requirement. This breakfast meal is high in sodium, so you’d have to reduce the amount of salt you consume for the rest of the day.
- Au Bon Pain Superfood Cranberry Almond Hot Cereal: In the world of fast foods, this meal is arguably the healthiest breakfast. The porridge is made of different types of whole grains. They include oats, quinoa, and amaranth. They do a good job of filling you up and making you stick to your diet. Unlike the McDonald’s egg white delight, it’s free of sodium and has just a gram of saturated fat. In addition, it’s low in calories, has about 180 calories per bowl. It provides 10 percent of your iron daily need. This is important for the production and nourishment of red blood cells, and also boost general oxygen circulation.
- Taco Bell Mini Skillet Bowl: Although the word “Tacos” doesn’t sound like a healthy meal. However, there are some healthy options, such as the Mini Skillet Bowl. It keeps your calorie intake in check, at about 180 calories. It contains a total of 5 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbohydrate, and 11 grams of fat. If you want something healthier, you can ask the restaurant staff to make it “fresco”. This simply means adding extra eggs, and guacamole. It’s best to avoid bacon, steak, and extra cheese, especially if you don’t want to ruin your diet.
Worst Fast Food For Breakfast
- Au Bon Pain 2-Egg Sausage Cheddar Ciabatta: Not everything on the Au Bon Pain’s breakfast menu is good and healthy. The 2-Egg sausage and cheddar ciabatta, although rich, has a lot of nutritional pitfalls. It has about 29 grams of fat and about 870 milligrams of sodium. In addition, it is rich in calories and has about 550 calories per sandwich. The fiber content of this meal is low, while it has 40 grams of carbohydrates. This meal would leave you hungry shortly after consumption, because of the low fiber. It has a high amount of saturated fat, which is bad for the cardiovascular
- Tim Hortons Sausage BELT: This meal contains egg, cheese, and sausage. All these constituents scream calories. This meal has the highest amount of calories on the menu. Each sandwich has about 570 calories, and can even get higher if you decide to go for a cheesy bagel or add a sauce. If you wouldn’t like to ruin your diet, then it’s best to avoid this meal. Another way of eating your cake and having it is by going for the better sandwich for breakfast, which contains egg, cheese, and cheese English muffin.
- McDonald’s Big Breakfast With Hotcakes: Although the Egg white delight will keep you energized and fill you up, the Big breakfast with hotcakes meal might likely weight you down. This meal has about 1400 calories. Comparatively, this is more than what people eat in a day. This meal is loaded with fast carbohydrates, which would lead to a fast rise in the blood sugar, which would be followed subsequently by a fall. This would leave the individual hungry, tired and weak. It’s best to avoid this meal if you don’t want to ruin your diet.
Garvin, L. (2017). The Best of Cases, the Worst of Cases. SSRN Electronic Journal. doi: 10.2139/ssrn.3093897
Kobayashi, F. (2012). Eating fast food slowly? Cultural usage and meaning of fast food in America and Japan. Nutrition & Food Science, 42(6), 405-411. doi: 10.1108/00346651211277654
Mielby, L., Edelenbos, M., & Thybo, A. (2012). Comparison of rating, best–worst scaling, and adolescents’ real choices of snacks. Food Quality And Preference, 25(2), 140-147. doi: 10.1016/j.foodqual.2012.02.007