The global market for stem cells has been estimated at USD 12 billion in 2016 and is projected to reach USD 26.6 billion by 2021, at a CAGR of 13.7% during the forecast period 2016 to 2021. A stem cell is an undifferentiated cell that has the potential to develop into any type of cell in the body.
Regenerative medicine is the major application of stem cells and other areas are neurology, orthopedics, oncology, cardiology, hematology and others (diabetes, injuries, and wounds). Another prominent application of stem cells is drug discovery and development. The end-users of this market are usually hospitals, cell banks, clinical research laboratories and academic institutes.
Global Stem Cell Marketing– Market Dynamics
The global stem cells market is one of the most promising markets in the field of life sciences at present and is forecasted to grow even more in the coming years as stem cells enable cost-effective treatment of many conditions that currently have poor or no treatment.
Some of the factors driving the global stem cells market are:
- Increase in the patient population
- Increase in the approval for clinical trials in stem cell research
- Growing demand for stem cell banking services
- Government support
- Rising investments in research and development for unmet medical needs
- Demand for regenerative treatment
While the global stem cells market has ample scope for growth, there are some factors restraining it as well. These include:
- High cost
- Regulatory complications
- Ethical and moral framework
The market for stem cells is segmented on the basis of cell types and technology. The cells type segment includes adult stem cells, human embryonic stem cells, induced pluripotent stem cells, rat neural stem cells and very small embryonic-like stem cells. Adult stem cells are again divided into hematopoietic stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, neuronal stem cells, dental stem cells and umbilical cord cells. The adult stem cells hold the highest share in the global stem cells market, while the market share of induced pluripotent stem cells is expected to grow in the coming years. The technology segment is divided into stem cell acquisition, stem cell production, stem cell cryopreservation, and stem cell expansion sub-segments.
Based on geography, the global market for stem cells is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World. The global stem cells market is dominated by North America, followed by Europe, the estimated market share of which is more than 25% as per a recent study. With 30% of the market, the USA holds the majority of share. However, due to increasing awareness among the public and advances in technologies, the market in the Asia-Pacific is expected to grow at a high rate.
Many players in this market are trying to expand their product portfolio in order to top the global market. While some companies are entering into the market by acquisitions, top companies are expanding their growth in this market by acquiring other companies. Few companies have adopted product innovation and new product launches as their key business strategy to ensure their dominance in this market.
Some of the key players in the market are:
- Aastrom Biosciences, Inc.
- Advanced Cell Technology
- Cryo Cell International
- Cytori Therapeutics, Inc.
- Geron Corporation
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the stem cells market, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis on the global and regional scale.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the stem cells market on both global and regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights on the major countries/regions in which this industry is blooming and to also identify the regions that are still untapped.
If you are in need of BioTechnology marketing or Stem Cell Marketing call 972-800-6670