Keto, Paleo, high fat, low carb, high protein, organic, whole foods/ how to choose the healthiest diet for your body? Losing weight and keeping fit is a common trend in this era, due to the health and social impressions placed on the way we look. However, there is a saying that we are what we eat. The way you look is influenced by what you eat. There are different diet plans to make you look fit and healthy, but the primary principle used by these diets is to ensure you eat less than you burn more calories(Calorie deficit). The policy of gaining weight is eating more calories than your body can metabolize. This leads to the body storing these excess calories as fat, causing weight gain. To lose weight you need to burn these excess calories and eat less than you burn.
There are different types of diets worldwide that help in losing weight, keeping fit, and maintaining a healthy physique and body. The different types of diet are named according to their content
Is the Ketogenic Diet a High Fat High Protein Diet?
The ketogenic diet is a type of diet that focuses on the intake of high- fat, increased protein, and low quantity of carbohydrate. Medically, it can be used primarily for treating a pediatric disease called (refractory). The diet forces the body to burn fats as a source of energy instead of using carbohydrates. Usually, ingested carbohydrates contained in food are broken down into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling the proper functioning of the brain.
How to Treat Epilepsy with the Keto Diet?
However, if there is insufficient carbohydrate in the diet, the liver undergoes a process called lipolysis by breaking down fats into fatty acid and ketone bodies. This ketone body passes into the brain and replaces glucose as the source of energy. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of seizures due to epilepsy. Almost half of children, and young people, with epilepsy who have tried some form of this diet, saw the number of seizures drop by at least 50%, and the effect persists even after discontinuing the diet. There is some evidence that adults with epilepsy may benefit from the diet, and that a less strict regimen, such as a modified Atkin’s diet, is similarly effective.
The most common adverse effect is constipation, affecting about 30% of patients—this was due to fluid restriction, which was once a feature of the diet, but this led to increased risk of kidney stones, and is no longer considered beneficial.
What are the Benefits of a Low Carb High Fat Diet?
A keto diet is known for its low carbohydrate intake, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s referred to as many different names – ketogenic diet, low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), etc.
When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.
- Glucose is the most accessible molecule for your body to convert and use as energy so that it will be chosen over any other energy source.
- Insulin is produced to process the glucose in your bloodstream by taking it around the body.
- Since the glucose is being used as a primary energy, your fats are not needed and are therefore stored. Typically on a regular, higher carbohydrate diet, the body will use glucose as the primary form of energy. By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis.
- Ketosis is a natural process the body initiates to help us survive when food intake is low. During this state, we produce ketones, which are produced from the breakdown of fats in the liver.
- The end goal of a properly maintained Keto diet is to force your body into this metabolic state. We don’t do this through starvation of calories but deprivation of carbohydrates.
Keto, Paleo, High Fat, Low Carb, High Protein, Organic, Whole Foods/ How to Choose the Healthiest Diet for Your Body. That is a very good question. Our bodies are incredibly adaptive to what you put into it – when you overload it with fats and take away carbohydrates, it will begin to burn ketones as the primary energy source. Optimal ketone levels offer many health, weight loss, physical and mental performance benefits.