The first thing I learned about using gas in my home is not to allow the gas to leak. I was told that if there’s a gas leak, it is possible that there may be a fire outbreak. There are many cases of people that are feeling sick due to a gas leak in their homes. It could cause dizziness, nausea, and migraine if unnoticed. There are times when people perceive the smell of eggs, especially rotten eggs. This is a serious situation and what occurs is that people may not know what to look out for and watch out for when there is a gas leak.
Avoiding Gas Leaks
There may have been a fault with a gas pipe, and it has gone unnoticed, this can lead to poisoning or explosion that may even cause burns and death. The natural gas doesn’t have any smell, nor does it cause any form of poisoning. However, to make it detectable before any explosion, an added constituent is mixed with the gas to give it a characteristic smell. Ensure that you watch out for any rust on the pipes to avoid eventual leakage. Also, there may have been corrosion at points that will finally leak, so make sure you get your gas pipe checked regularly and constantly.
There are times when the pipes are not the problem, but the leakage occurs due to the pipe carrying the gas not fitting properly to the gas cooker. When this happens, it can even be more hazardous as fire is always close by during cooking, so it is important to avoid any case of gas leak through valves and the pipes going into the gas cooker.
People can also cause a gas explosion if they dig or excavate without proper knowledge. This is because there are gas pipes passing through some parts of the ground, and if one is not a professional, there may be unforeseen accidents. This is why a licensed professional or company should be involved to help in the assessment of the pipes in the house and those outside. Even if the gas pipe has started leaking, the best thing is to call such professionals to repair them. They are capable of handling the safety and repair much better compared to any other thing one may consider doing without them.
What Causes a Gas Leak?
There are several reasons a gas leak may have happened. It could be due to poorly fitted appliances.
- Sometimes, boilers in the house being powered by gas may not have been fixed So, if it is loose, this may allow gas to leak.
- Home appliances like cookers that are not adequately installed also causes gas leakage in homes.
- Digging of the ground by people who are not professionals
- Ovens that are not installed by Gas Safe registered engineers.
How do you Notice a Gas Leak?
- It can be quite challenging to detect a gas leak; sometimes, and this is because it is colorless and odorless. However, natural gas has a chemical that gives it a distinct smell, and smelling this may indicate that there is a gas leak. Even if all you have is suspicion and you are not sure, just call out to the emergency services for gas, and they’ll put your mind at rest.
- Another way of noticing gas leaks that may be more prominent and obvious is a whistling sound. This can be heard either at the valve or on any part of the gas pipe.
- As much as natural gas is colorless, when it escapes in large quantity, it could form a light dust cloud. If this is noticed, quickly take appropriate measures and call the emergency services.
- There are people who keep plants in the house, and this is quite good, and they are bound to survive because we release carbon-dioxide that they use in photosynthesis while they release oxygen to the environment.
- However, when there is a gas leakage, these plants get excess of carbon monoxide, and they die eventually. So, you see that a well-tended plant is dying then you should make sure there is no gas leaking in the area.
- Although a sign that seems more reliable is the gas bill. If one has a relatively fixed gas bill usually being paid monthly and it suddenly goes up, suspects gas leakage. This can occur especially when there is no notice of increment of the charges from the gas plant and no exceptional increment in the way you use the gas.
Should you be turning off Your Gas Valve during Gas leakage?
It can be reflex to want to prevent the gas from wasting or from additional ones from escaping. However, one is not advised to try to do such things in the event of gas leakage. This is because you could be complicating the situation unknowingly. Also, there may be an imminent explosion that you will escape if you get out of the house promptly without thinking of turning off the cause or source of the leakage.
How to Prevent Gas Leaks?
There is no other way you can ensure that there will not be gas leaks except employing the services of licensed professionals. There are companies who specialize in fitting appliances and connecting houses to gas pipes, and they do it perfectly. Any groundwork that involves digging must also be done with the assistance of these professionals. There are so many gas leakages that can be prevented by making the following efforts:
- Acquaint yourself with Gas leakage Indications: Individuals ought to find out about gas spill indications and signs. This is not just for a member of the family but for relatives and kids present in the house. This will help against gas leakage when it happens. Everybody should be conversant with what to do if a gas pipe breaks or it is suspected.
- Plan Standard Assessments Periodically: Guarantee that all appliances in the house using gas and the gas pipes are carefully and regularly tested with gas analyzer each year by a licensed professional. This checking usually occurs for no charge at all. The other appliances tested by these certified professional are heaters, hoods, pipes, and vents.
- Make sure there is satisfactory aeration in the House: The places closer to the appliances using gases should be kept free from any obstruction. This is to keep flammable gas from exploding in those areas. It is likewise useful and beneficial to ventilate the house consistently.
- Have a Carbon Monoxide Sensor Installed: These gadgets look like smoke alerts and can easily be fixed in the house without posing any problem. If there is any carbon monoxide detected, it will trigger the alarm, and it gives a loud sound to signify the presence of carbon monoxide. There ought to be a sensor on each floor of the house if there are multiple floors and in all rooms as well.
- Always have a Fire Extinguisher in the House: There is a high chance of an explosion from gas leakage, so have a fire extinguisher nearby to quench the fire. Gas leakages are exceptionally combustible, and the fire can be triggered by as small as a sparkle or just by making telephone calls. Respond rapidly to fire in the house by calling emergency services but use the extinguisher to clear your way out or put the fire out if you have a good judgment of the fire. However, fire explosion from a gas can be very unpredictable, so be extremely careful.
- Keep Household Chemical Substances away from Gas Appliances: Make sure that every flammable substance like paints, synthetic chemicals, should be stored away from gas pipes and appliances. This could make the explosion spread faster and burn through things at a very rapid rate. Also, this may make it difficult for the fire to be put out with extinguishers. Therefore, have a place that is away from gas appliances and pipes and any household substance that could complicate any potential explosion as well.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
It has been discussed how gas leakage can cause the death of plants in homes and how it is due to carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide does not only affect plants, but it also affects humans, and several symptoms show up as a result. If unnoticed on time, it may eventually affect breathing and proper tissue perfusion leading to death.
Signs and Symptoms that Shows you are suffering from Gas Leaks
So many signs may be associated with gas leaks, but they could occur as a result of other conditions. Although it is quite vital to watch for these symptoms, especially when there is a strong suspicion of gas leaking in the house. There are quite a lot, be observant, and report any signs to your physician, below are many other symptoms:
- Blistering, following direct contact with the gas
- Difficulty in breathing
- Feeling lightheaded
- Flu-like symptoms
- Irritation to the eyes
- Irritation to the throat
- Mood changes
- Pains in the chest
- Pale skin, following direct contact with gas
- Reduced Appetite
- Ringing in the ears
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain
Pet Protection in Cases of Gas Leakage
Pets may not be human beings, but they can also suffer from gas leakage as well. One needs to be vigilant and observant if these animals are showing any of the symptoms that signify having a carbon monoxide poisoning. If you own a Pet, make sure to look out for these signs listed below:
- Breathing Difficulties
- Sudden Changes in Mood or Behavior
- Loss of Appetite
- Red eyes or Watering eyes
What to do when you have confirmed there is a Gas Leak?
It is one thing not to discover gas leakage as it can be difficult, but when you are lucky to have noticed it, there are crucial things that must be done instantly. It’s better to act fast and keep a cool head and a focused mind. This is because having a clear head allows one to make a better decision if others are panicking. The following steps below are essential for one to take when one is sure that there is a gas leak:
- Leave the house immediately.
- If you have any dependents in the house, ensure you get them out as fast as possible.
- If there are any pets in the house, evacuate them as well.
- As you are leaving the house, make sure to leave the windows and doors open.
- Once you are out, call the emergency services, or the utility company, or licensed gas safe engineers, or the fire department.
- It is important not to make the call to the above services within the house as it can ignite a fire.
- Also, send for an ambulance if you or your loved ones have severe symptoms of poisoning for prompt treatment at the nearest medical facility.
- Don’t try to fix the gas leakage by yourselves, always call a licensed professional or emergency
- Just as you are not supposed to make phone calls once you’re sure there has been a gas leakage, don’t light matches, or lighters. Don’t smoke in the house or light a candle to see.
- Also, do not switch on electrical appliances or the lights of the house.
What happens after a Gas leakage has been Reported?
Once the house has been inspected most likely with a modified electronic gas analyzer. The licensed professional will certify the appliances safe for use, check everything outside the house to ensure no other leakages are happening there as well.
- The house will now be aired.
- You will be given the option to have carbon monoxide alarms installed.
Essential gas leak and safety precautions are taken to prevent excessive gas leak. Ensure you are available for any eventuality. Education and awareness about explosion and gas leakage is invaluable. So many things are connected to the gas leaks and are vital to be talked about, I believe you have been able to avail yourself of such information by now.
What about health risks associated with air conditioners?